Are you someone who has an abundance of black or neutral clothes in your wardrobe? Why not embrace the spring 2022 fashion trends to include more prints, patterns and vibrant shades in your looks. Consider complements of color to pair more vibrant shades, then start small by adding a few accessories to your everyday look. Soon you’ll be adding pops of color and prints to your outfit and wondering why you didn’t start doing this sooner.
Find color complements
Having a solid understanding of which colors go well together can make or break your outfit. Colors and their theories are vital, so it is important to understand color theory. The color wheel, invented by Sir Isaac Newton in the 18th century, represents the relationship between colors. Complementary colors (purple and yellow, red and green, and blue and orange) work best when put together. Color matching these complementary colors can enhance your outfit.
Combine bright shades with different patterns and prints
Adding a bold pattern or print is one of the easiest ways to show that you’ve put a lot of thought into your outfit. Patterns include repeating patterns that are woven into the fabric or printed, while prints are patterns applied on top of the fabric via various methods including screen printing or digital printing. Consider the following prints and patterns:
- Geometric designs: These feature shapes such as squares, triangles, and trapezoids. Houndstooth is an example of repeating geometric patterns in two colors.
- Gingham: This design is made of dyed cotton yarn woven in a checkered pattern, usually consisting of white and another color.
- Herringbone: Commonly found on twill, the chevron has a V-shaped weave with a repeating pattern that resembles a fish skeleton.
- Cashmere: A Persian design that features a teardrop pattern, paisley is commonly found on silk items such as scarves and ties.
While conventional wisdom claims you can’t mix patterns, some of the most stylish dressers mix them up regularly. Mixing up the patterns is a great way to show off your confidence and add a fun look to your outfit. One of the best ways to mix these patterns is to layer them at different scales, so pair a small-scale one with a larger-scale pattern.
If the thought of throwing a bunch of colors and prints into your looks has you worried, you can start small with something subtle. Some of the best accessory options include the following:
- Bag: While neutral bags go with everything, try a yellow, red or green bag to brighten up your outfit.
- Hat: Not only are hats fun to wear, but you can also use them to add color.
- Scarf: An inexpensive accessory, scarves give you endless possibilities with solid colors, stripes and patterns.
- Shoes: Although shoes are not necessarily an accessory since you have to wear them, they are perhaps the best way to add color to a neutral outfit.
Patterns and prints immediately catch the eye and can brighten up any outfit. Get out of your comfort zone and experiment with different models. By understanding the basics of color matching, you can use various prints and patterns to bring some pop to your ensemble.
For more fashion reads, click here.