Which white baskets are the best?
Laundry baskets are a great way to organize your dirty clothes. White is a good choice for those who want to maintain a neutral or modern aesthetic. It also has its fair share of minor pros and cons over other colors.
The best white laundry basket is the Greenstell laundry basket with two removable bags. It has a nice wicker look and uses a divider to separate types of clothes.
What to know before buying a white basket
Shape and size
laundry baskets usually come in one of three shapes, but their sizes vary widely.
- Form: The three main shapes of laundry baskets are squares, rectangles and circles. Circular baskets are usually collapsible and are regularly used for children, teenagers and adults living in dormitories. Square and rectangular baskets are generally made from sturdy materials and have the greatest variations in size.
- Cut: When considering the size of basket to buy, consider how much laundry you need to do as well as how much floor space you have available. If you’re a one-person household or buying a basket for your child’s clothes, you shouldn’t need a lot of space. Larger families benefit the most from large rectangular baskets, as they generally allow for more sorting options.
When choosing a basket, consider your activity level or sweat level. If you’re constantly throwing sweaty or otherwise damp clothes into an unventilated hamper, you’ll quickly find your home and your clothes smelling musty.
Baskets can be ventilated in several ways. Inexpensive vented baskets are usually made almost entirely from mesh, while mid-range plastic baskets may have several small holes drilled into the sides. Nothing beats a good wicker basket because its aesthetic is just as high-end as its ventilation capacity. White baskets, especially fabrics and meshes, also dry slightly faster than dark colored options.
What to Look for in a Quality White Basket
Number of Sections
Laundry baskets can have between one and four sections for sorting purposes, although four sections are uncommon. Larger families or those who keep their laundry heavily segmented benefit the most from having multiple sections. Multi-section fabric baskets can limit the laundry most likely to stain the fabric to a specific section.
Some baskets are divided into two sections by a removable insert. When you take the laundry out to do this, you will need to put the laundry from each part in a separate bag to take it to the laundry room or laundromat, otherwise it will all fall back together.
White laundry hampers are usually made from plastic, wood, fabric, or mesh.
- Plastic baskets are inexpensive and durable, but they may offend the eyes of an aesthetically conscious person. Imperfections are easy to wipe away.
- wooden baskets are expensive, but they are easily the most attractive and if treated properly can last longer than plastic baskets. However, scuffs and blemishes will stand out more in white models.
- Fabric baskets are a middle ground in terms of aesthetics, durability and cost. They may stain, but can be easily cleaned.
- Mesh baskets are cheap and don’t last long, but they’re great for certain scenarios like dorm rooms. However, they are not known for their aesthetic value and white models may attract more attention than desired.
How much you can expect to spend on a white basket
Laundry hampers come in all shapes, sizes, and materials, which can cut costs to under $10 or over $100. Most cost between $10 and $50, with the best options usually starting between $20 and $25.
white basket FAQ
What’s the best way to clean a white laundry basket?
A. It depends on the material your basket is made from. Scuffed plastic baskets rarely need more than a good cleaning with a damp cloth. Cloth baskets have two methods. Many allow the fabric to be removed from the frame and added to your other dirty laundry. Those with stuck fabrics can be cleaned with a spray of fabric cleaner or stain remover if there is a deeper problem. White wooden baskets are more difficult to clean, as some imperfections can become embedded in the wood. These could be painted, but you may need to paint the whole basket if your white paint does not match the original.
What is the best way to sort laundry?
A. Everyone sorts their laundry differently depending on the clothes they have and the washing methods they use. The classic sorting method is as simple as separating your light-colored clothes from your dark-colored clothes. Another common sorting method is to separate delicate and non-delicate items. And, of course, you can do both.
What is the best white basket to buy?
High white basket
What do you want to know: This double barrel hamper is perfect for keeping your types of clothes organized before laundry day.
What you will love: It includes two removable inner bags that can be used to easily transport your laundry to a laundromat or simply removed to clean themselves. It is available in two sizes: 18 or 22 by 12 by 24 inches.
What you should consider: The interior section of this basket is separated by a removable divider and the two included liner bags fit the entire basket, not each side individually. This means that your sorted garments will be reinstated if removed with the liner.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
White basket top for the money
What do you want to know: It’s a great choice for dorm rooms or just to save money.
What you will love: The mesh construction allows damp clothing, such as sweaty sportswear, to breathe to prevent mold or mildew from forming. When not needed, the basket can fold into a small disc to save space. Two handles on the sides facilitate the transport of a full basket.
What you should consider: It’s not built to last: the mesh tends to rip or tear and the metal bands that hold its shape can come loose.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Worth checking out
What do you want to know: It’s as much a beautiful decoration as it is a functional basket.
What you will love: The lift-top uses a spring-loaded hinge that prevents slamming. It includes a fabric bag for the interior to easily transport your dirty laundry. A few varieties of matching cabinets are available for a complete bathroom look. Clothes are hidden from sight and smell.
What you should consider: The handles are just for show and access is only from the top. It is several times more expensive than an average basket.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Jordan Woika written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.